Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Warning: No More English Spell Check

I'm a terrible person for not writing sooner but I've been so busy! First I should warn you that i no longer have english spell check, so my creative spelling will come as no surprise to many of you. With that said, I'll try to give a brief description of my travels thus far (although we've done so many fabulous things that it seems a chore to write it all; therefore I'll do it in list form):
- Arrived in Managua Friday night. By six pm it was already dark and as we were landing the weather was described as "smokey" due to the fact that many people burn their trash (Dad, i don't recommend you go there, it's an enviormentalist's nightmare).
- Was met by my friend Dawn at the airport, for which I was very grateful. It turns out you have to haggle with the taxi drivers here (a skill I have yet to master).
- We spent the weekend in Managua melting and visiting with Dawn's numerous friends; all wonderful people.
- Visited the dump and saw the people who live there including the children who make a living separating the garbage.
- Ate at pizza hut- talk about being confused!
- Tried to get used to the idea the 100 cordobas = about $5.50
- Tried to get used to the idea of throwing toilet paper in the garbage and not in the toilet.
- Cold showers (they feel great in this heat).
- The electricity going off at night.
- Went to a prison where during the sandista revolution 400 people were inprisoned and killed. Some of the cells were so dark that when the prisoners were released they were completely blind.
- Swam in a beautiful crater lake.
- Took a cramped, crazy bus ride to Granada
- Spent the night in a beautiful hostel
- Went to Spanish class at the language school Casa Xalteva.
- Went on a tour of the isletas, saw a few monkies.
- Met our host family THEY ARE FABULOUS!!!
- Tried fried cheese for the first time.
- Fell in love with daily fesh made juice. There are some great fruits here that I've never seen before.
- Explored Granada and took some awesome pictures that I'll post as soon as i can.

I can't believe I've been here less than a week; it seems impossible. My friend Jenn and I are having so much fun here that we are planning to stay in Granada another week before heading to Santo Tomas where we will meet up again with Dawn and see what the sister city organization (with olympia) has been up to. I have already gotten job offers to teach English which puts my mind at ease. So far i've only gotten a slight sun burn! Well, I'm just about spent. I'll try to write more often so I can give you more exciting, detailed accounts.
Hasta luego!

1 comment:

Emily said...

You, not haggling properly? I'm so disillussioned!!