Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I´m a potter





Last week we went to San Juan de Oriente where 90% of the inhabitants make a living off pottery. We got to go to one of the homes where they make this exquisit art. Each piece takes about two months to make and are have detailed echings of the different flora and fauna from Nicaragua. The process begins with clay from the area (predicted to dissapear in the near future due to global warming) then it is thrown on the wheel and sculped into various shapes. I got to try my hand at this and as it turns out I´m not half bad; although nothing like the oldest brother who can whip out about 60 in two hours. After it is dried, polished, carved and colored, it goes into the oven. The oven takes a particular kind of wood and can only be run by an expert (in this case the matriarc or the family). It was like straight out of a Mister Roger´s episode! Of course I bought a few pieces for dirt cheap and was very touched when the family gave me a jug for teaching their son English. Maybe I´ll become a potter for my next career?

No comments: